CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 1, 2009

Maine



Our family just took a trip to beautiful Maine. It was a bittersweet trip. My aunt has cancer, and we all wanted to spend time with her. She is my mom's twin, and it was their 60th birthday while we were there. So about twenty adults and kids flew to Maine. We rented a nice house on the ocean for about a week. It was a peaceful trip. The picture above is the path that led from our street to the ocean. Aaaahh. . .the memories.

My aunt has a wonderful outlook on her situation. She is a beautiful person. Makes me want to be a better person. . .live in the moment. . .not take everything so seriously. . .lighten up.

I love the ocean. On our last day there, I went down to the water, walked a little, sat down a little, thought a lot. One of my thoughts was: I really need to think more. :) Very seldom do I make the time to be alone and reflect on God's creation that surrounds me, who He wants me to be, what He wants me to do. It was easy to reflect at the ocean (especially at 4:45 a.m. when no one else was around!).

I took a trip to Maine one summer when I was in high school, and I have longed to go back ever since. It is so beautiful.

When we returned to our home in Iowa, I felt an almost immediate feeling of stress, tension, uneasiness. I'm pretty sure that's not how God wants me to feel in my own home. I need to figure out where that is coming from. It really is good to be home. I do love Iowa. I think maybe it has to do with the fact that we just moved and half of our stuff is still at our old house (that we just sold two days ago -- YAY!), so there is a lot to do, in addition to the already-busy days of a homeschooling mom (or any parent in any situation, for that matter).

Okay, enough with the random thoughts. I sincerely hope you are all doing well and feeling the love of Christ in you today. I have missed my blog friends and hope to catch up with you all soon.

Blessings to you all.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, we miss you! I will keep your auntie in my prayers and I hope you will relax in your own home soon. Sending you imaginary bubble bath :)

Alicia The Snowflake said...

Glad to see you back!

I am sorry to hear about your aunt. But what a great time with family. It's always kind of sad that it takes tragedy to bring us together.

I know what you mean about busy. We just finished up school for the year. I am ready to get some things done around the house now!

Lisa said...

I've often called the ocean my "peace place". There's just something about the sound of the waves, the gentle breeze that draws my heart right into worship. Praying now for you sweet Aunt.
Blessings ~ Lisa

Anonymous said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaha (snort) beat me?

Hon, denial ain't just a river!

I'm tempted to wager a bet with you, winner loses most body weight percentage and reclaims the crown :)

So prepare to kiss my black feet soon (whistling)

I'll show you who's the boss (mutters) I oughta

Christine Jeske said...

What a completely wonderful post!

Good luck with the challenge. I hope to get to know you!

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I love this:

"One of my thoughts was: I really need to think more."

So true! As I'm reading this, I'm picturing a stroll down that beautifully photographed path, to a sandy beach, where one would dig toes into sand and smell ocean breezes and just .... think.

I like that thought.

Beautiful post.

Miss Charlene said...

Aw, we all have a special place where we can go back and find ourselves. Sometimes they're frozen in time, as if the years have never gone by. Home will always be a special place in our heart.

~*Michelle*~ said...

Prayers for your aunt.....

Cancer is ugly.
Jesus Christ is beauty.

I believe in the power of prayer and miraculous healings.....

And yes, isn't Maine gorgeous? Sometimes I take living in New England for granted.

Christine Jeske said...

TBU= To be updated, lol ;)

I weigh in first thing in the mornings too. It's a lower number and more flattering to post. :D

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

We recently had some time like that with my grandfather before he passed away. (But ours was just around the corner.)

I've always wanted to visit Maine. Just the idea of it is so lovely, and that photo makes me want to even more!

LisaShaw said...

Happy Birthday to your Mom and Auntie. I'm so sorry about your Aunties situation and I just prayed for her. I know God is hearing all of our prayers for her.

I enjoy the ocean and don't get there enough.

God bless you dear one.

Lisa said...

what a beautiful scenery and wonderful you were able to enjoy it in peace. I am sorry to hear about your Aunt, i will be praying for her. Is she saved?